Monday, May 25, 2009

Ritual #30 My 30th B-day & Spa Day! (Part 1)






5/24/09

So when I was debating on what I wanted to do for my birthday about 2 months ago I realized I didn't want the same old. I wanted to mark it with something special. Something that would reflect the significance that this milestone signifies for me. I looked at all sorts of spiritual retreats but came to the conclusion that not only did I want an experience where I could relax and reflect I also wanted a little pampering too. My friend Portia recommended that we go to Glen Ivy Hot Springs in Corona, CA which is this amazing out door day spa which sports many different types of pools, treatments, and services. I decided that I wanted just a close group of girlfriends to share this day with me. Portia picked me up and Janis who has been visiting from Mass drove with us. We met with my friend Deborah at the resort.

So sleepy eyed at 7:30am, we crawled into Portia's car. I was handed an iced coffee very generously given by Portia. We had a nice drive and could tell that we were nearing when the area became a little less populated and there was beautiful mountains and vegetation around. We pulled into Glen Ivy as we hooted with excitement. We were one of the first groups in line and got in pretty quickly. It was my b-day so I got in free and was able to use my gf's to get in Janis for her b-day. We just stared with wonder when we walked in. "Is this paradise?" I think I remember asking. Everywhere I looked there were beautiful vegetation, palm trees, little waterfalls.

We went to the lockers and changed. Even in the locker area there is an assortment of things for our use. They have showers, a steam room, and a hot tub. The hot tub was quite large and reminded me of the bath houses described in times of the Greek where women would go and bathe. There were actually even Grecian carvings over the it.

It was still a little cool around 9:30am in the morning but not too cool. The sky was blue and the sun was starting to come out more. We found a pool with rafts that we could use. I got in the water and it was comfortable, like bath water. I drifted around the pool, my stomach on the raft. Lazily propelling myself around with my hands, looking around at the beauty, and talking to my friends. It felt so relaxing and surreal after all the craziness of the day before. Portia and I made our way to get our treatments, Portia got a facial while I went to get the Spring Detox.

The Spring Detox included exfoliation with a lavender/eucalyptus scrub, followed by an oil swedish massage, and wrap. Also included admission to the Grotto. I had a very sweet lady who ushered me in from outside where I was sipping tea and listening to water falling under some lush foliage. I was told to undress and go under a sheet. We talked pleasantly while she scrub my skin vigorously with the scrub. I went on my stomach and she administered the scrub head to toes. Then I took the sheet around me and went to the shower to scrub it off. I could smell the eucalyptus and lavender scent. The smell was so calming and I took a blissful short shower knowing that she was waiting for me. When I stepped out my skin was already soft and smelled sweet. When I went back in she had me lay on my stomach and put my face in the ring. She used warmed oil and took her time rubbing it in. She spent a lot of time on my back and it was luscious. I went on my back and she completed the massage. Then the best part in my opinion. She used warmed towels and pulled the sheets in such a way that I was completely cocooned. It is hard to describe how it feels. You feel like you are being warmly embraced by someone you love. It felt so comforting.

She mentioned that she joked with a girl who was 18 years old who never had gotten it done before that she would have to get out on her own. I asked if she ever heard what happens to butterflies if someone breaks the cocoon. She said she hadn't. I told her that butterflies won't be able to fly. That it takes the struggle to get out of the cocoon for their wings to be strong enough to fly. I compared it to how in life, people have to face their own challenges in order to be strong enough to do things on her own. She told me she felt this was really inspiring to her and that she was going to tell her daughter about that.

I got a nice massage on my face too with some acupressure before she removed me from the the wrap. She and I joked about me not wanting to leave my cocoon but having to.

As I thanked and left her I felt so relaxed. I couldn't help smile at everyone that I walked by and when spoken to I replied softly and slowly. My dopiness lasted until half way through lunch at least. I ate with Portia and Janis as Deb was still getting her package done. They have amazing fresh food. I had an amazing turkey sandwich with sprouts and avocado. It came with fruit and I bought some chips along with some iced tea. I felt really good eating slowly, purposefully, relaxed from my massage, and with close friends. Afterward we went to the steam room and the sauna before we parted with Portia and made our way to the Grotto to meet up with Deb. The Grotto is similar to the concept of the one at the Bunny Mansion. They take you down on an elevator to this cavern. They lather you up with this greenish mixture. You feel like you are being painted like a house. The next room you sit for awhile, rub it in to your skin before you go to the next room. We met Deb in this room and sat covered in our green beauty. It was fun to just rub it in while chatting. We went and rinsed it off which took some time. Then the best part is the last where you go in a cool misty cavern where there is cool water, tea, and green apples. The green apple was perfect after the dryness of the other room. The whole experience of the Grotto was really cool. You felt at times like you were really in a cave somewhere.

We met up with Portia and I bought a bottle of champagne to toast with bought again with all the gc's. We toasted friendship, our futures, and my b-day. It was a really perfect moment to be with some of my closest friends, celebrating all together. I mentally took a picture of the moment. Deb had to leave and Janis wanted to go read and relax more by the pool. So Portia and I went to Club Mud.

Now this was soooo fun! We went into the muddy water and in the middle was this mound of mud. You just scoop it up with your hands and just slather yourself with it. Portia and I slathered it on our backs. I got carried away and put layers of it on. We went into the Wafa room where you go to let the mud bake. We sat in and Portia and I had a nice conversation on our future wishes for our careers and possibilities of continued school. We got out, flaked off the mud, and washed it off. My skin was soooo smooth after it.

We went back into the steam room which was great. In the steam room there is a mental play that you have to do with yourselves. Part of you wants to jump out because the warm air is going into your lungs and feels intense. We just sat lotus style and used Pranayama breathing to decrease some of the intensity. We spent more time the first time but the second after the mud was really good too. It helped to get rid of the rest of the toxins and the mud. I felt really good once I left the steam room. We then took really nice long showers. They have shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel in all of the showers which made it really nice. I changed, dried my hair and was surprised to see that it was 4:45pm. We got Janis, she changed and we were off by 5pm. We got some of the supplies. I got the lavender/eucalyptus scrub and Portia got this skin product line.

What an absolutely amazing day! It was so good to be taken care of and to take care of myself. I felt like it was day long ritual of self love. It was made even more special by those that I got to share it with. Also thought of everyone that made it possible for me to go. I felt like they were with me too. Next entry I'll share my evening with my hubbie. Feels like it needs its own.

1 comment:

Kristen K. @ Glen Ivy said...

Greetings from Glen Ivy!

What an amazing Blog post you have here! I was able to picture every move you made! It's amazing!

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your day at Glen Ivy! I felt your relaxation through your words.

My favorite part is your words of wisdom!

"I asked if she ever heard what happens to butterflies if someone breaks the cocoon. She said she hadn't. I told her that butterflies won't be able to fly. That it takes the struggle to get out of the cocoon for their wings to be strong enough to fly. I compared it to how in life, people have to face their own challenges in order to be strong enough to do things on her own. She told me she felt this was really inspiring to her and that she was going to tell her daughter about that."

How true is this!? You not only inspired our therapist but you inspired me (and probably everyone else who has read this Blog)! Thank you for that!

Would you mind emailing me at kristen.koman@glenivy.com? I would love to talk to you about a few things!

I look forward to hearing from you.

To your health & happiness,

Kristen